Caldwell Companies is an established and growing development, investment and commercial service firm based in Northwest Houston. Caldwell Companies is a faith-based firm that engages in large-scale commercial and residential development, real estate investments, commercial land brokerage, and asset management. Our company culture is a family environment where the individual is treated with respect and accountability that helps foster personal growth and achievement. We have a fun work setting coupled with a fast-paced, exciting, and goal-oriented environment. We are seeking an energetic, experienced person to join our Construction team as a Construction Superintendent.
Caldwell Companies Superintendent provides the knowledge, skills and experience required to manage the day-to-day field operations of projects that Caldwell Companies undertakes. The Superintendent is responsible for the production aspects of the work and is accountable for: producing quality work that is constructed consistent with the standard’s set forth in the project’s contract documents; performing work in a timely and cost effective manner, and maintaining a work environment that is safe and continuously kept clean and orderly.
The Superintendent is the forward face of Caldwell Construction environment that includes: fostering a positive atmosphere, promoting proactive and effective communication, facilitating problem solving and minimizing and resolving conflict in a constructive manner. The primary focus of the superintendent is to provide the managerial and leadership skills necessary to accomplish the work by means of subcontractors and to manage the day-to-day issues of a small self-performed workforce.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Manage the day-to-day field activities to ensure that project milestone dates and overall schedule completion date is met
- Create and maintain a culture that emulates company values.
- Manage and coordinate the work to ensure that it is constructed in an orderly and deliberate manner that is consistent with the standard-of-care set forth in the contract documents that is viewed by industry as an effort that is consistent with best-practices standards
- Establish and maintain all dimensional controls for the project to include the use of third party survey and layout personnel when appropriate
- Verify that all work is installed in a workmanlike manner (i.e.: plumb, level, straight, etc...)
- Manage and look-ahead no less than two weeks to proactively identify challenges and plan solutions to resolve
- Obtain all inspections and ensure that the quality aspects of the physical work are fully documented
- Ensure all aspects of the project are compliant with all contract terms and legal requirements that govern the project and the community in which the project(s) takes place
- Conduct and/or attend pre-construction, progress and other project and staff meetings
- Conduct and/or participate in regularly held meetings involving internal staff and external stake holders such as owners, subcontractors, etc.
- Meet, as required, with client representatives to discuss the status of projects, to proactively identify and resolve problems and to assure that the client is kept knowledgeable about the status of the work
- Manage self-performed activities to ensure that work is being performed within the established project budget
- Manage changes in project scope to ensure that the most contemporary contract documents are being used at all times to prevent avoidable rework
- Administer contracts, subcontracts, purchase orders and other agreements to ensure that the scope, terms and conditions are consistently and proactively being met
- Manage the punch list and project closeout process to assure timely completion
- Maintain daily paperwork such as timecards, field reports, schedule updates and E-mail correspondence
- Provide timely and cordial interaction with supporting work groups, such as accounting, HR, QA/QC, etc.
- Assist project team in developing the project schedule and make adjustments as necessary throughout the duration of the project.
- Assist with preconstruction services to include plan review, scheduling, bidding and value engineering
- Maintain site in a clean, safe, and professional manner
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management AND no less than 5 years of progressive responsibility supervising construction
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the construction industry with a commercial and/or multi-family general contractor engaged in general building and civil construction
- A demonstrated understanding of construction means and methods associated with the renovation and construction of commercial and Multi-family buildings and site work related thereto
- A working knowledge of all scopes of work including Civil, Architectural, & MEP.
- The ability to effectively communicate both in the English written and spoken word
- Proficiency with spreadsheets, Email and other software used in the construction industry
- Current safety credentials to include OSHA 30 1, 1st Aid and CPR (Preferred)
- Knowledge of ProCore construction software is a plus.